Friday, November 26, 2010

Thoughts on taking the first ever full length GMAT Practice test!

So 2 days back I took the plunge to assess myself by taking a full practice test from GMATPrep with Zero Preparation. Though my score(500,Q - 17, V - 27) is nothing much to write about, I learned a lot by taking the test!

So lets begin -
  1. The last time I sat for a test so long was at-least a decade back! Even then it was not on a computer and was for 2-3 hrs only! So sitting for 3.5 hrs just doing the test can get taxing. Even though the breaks and the tutorial was not timed(in the practice test) I took it as seriously as if I was doing a real test! And it was not easy to sit and focus for 3.5 hrs! So take as many full tests as you can before your final GMAT!
  2. Its not easy to maintain the tempo for full 3.5 hours! Test began with AWA which I really enjoyed and gave my all to it! 1 hour flew by in no time! Quants started to take me down as with each new question my confidence was going down. Its been a decade if not more since I touched Math and it clearly showed its power! Towards the end of the Quant I was feeling very restless and a bit exhausted.
  3. Verbal gave me a rush of energy as I was really enjoying the questions! But Reading Comprehensions(RC) passages were long, complicated and very boring! The energy was taking a nose dive! Last 45-60 mins of the test was really very very taxing! I wanted to give my best, attempt the questions with full dedication, giving my all, but it was not easy! I felt like a mountaineer scaling the last 10% of the climb!
  4. Even though Verbal section is easy for me as compared to Quants, but even in Verbal all the answers are very close to each other and its very very easy to get in the trap and loose the judgement as to which answer will suit the best and is hopefully correct! However good may be in Quants or Verbal or both, don't feel overconfident!
  5. Study and prepare seriously, as hard as possible and as much as possible. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!
  6. Be prepared, where ever you are taking the test make sure the environment is to your liking and comfortable. Keep pen-paper ready, keep water nearby, you can also keep a snack which you can gobble real quick. You don't want to waste precious time in getting adjusted once the test has begun. Make it as close to real as possible! Every second counts! 

No comments:

Post a Comment